And I know from experience that your body language tells far more that your words, so thank you Amy Cuddy for adding scientific evidence that not only can your mind change your body, but your body can change your mind…not just “fake it til you make it” but “fake it til you become it”. Your body language
shapes who you are.
Click the picture or this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc&w=180&rel=0 to see the video Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are
These are my own “confidence secrets”… Try these simple postures next time you need to feel more positive and more powerful: (Best done in private before you go into a meeting or start your day)
1. If you’ve struggled out of bed – strike the gymnast’s pose – the one they do after they’ve finished their routine – legs together, arms up and spread wide, chest out head up and look up. And if you feel slightly ridiculous, you’ll at least get your day off to a better start with a good laugh!
2. The winning runner’s pose – same position as the gymnast pose but
running like you just WON the race.
3. The “I love you this much” pose – stand up – spread your arms as wide as you can, stretch your hands out and get ready to receive…
4. The Wonder Woman pose – watch the video – the picture says it all.
These ones you can do in public… in fact I highly recommend them for when you’re out networking, when you’re giving a presentation on stage or talking in a group, making a sale…
1. Stand tall – get your feet grounded, legs slightly apart, arms comfortably at your side of loosely hold hands at waist height, head up like you’re attached to the sky, shoulders back…breathe and smile
2. Sitting pose – same as above – not slumped in a chair
3. Walking pose – same as standing – move confidently.
This is pretty easy for an extrovert. For introverts, practice it in your mind until you
are more comfortable with it – then give it a go.
Observe the results and let me know how it goes 🙂